Want news at your fingertips? Text “MAGIC” to 23845 to join our text club!
In Memoriam: Celebrities We Lost In 2017
1. Della Reese, 86Source:Getty 1 of 15
2. Keith Wilder (Heatwave), 68Source:Getty 2 of 15
3. Robert Guillaume, 89Source:Getty 3 of 15
4. Cornelius ‘Connie’ Hawkins, 75Source:Getty 4 of 15
5. Novella Nelson, 77Source:Getty 5 of 15
6. Dick Gregory, 84Source:Getty 6 of 15
7. Nelsan Ellis, 39Source:Getty 7 of 15
8. Fresh Kid Ice (far left) of 2 Live Crew, 53Source:Getty 8 of 15
9. Cuba Gooding Sr., 72Source:Getty 9 of 15
10. Charlie Murphy, 57Source:Getty 10 of 15
11. Mary Tyler Moore, 8011 of 15
12. Lee “Q” O’Denat, 4312 of 15
13. William Hilliard, 8913 of 15
14. Bishop Eddie Long, 6314 of 15
15. Roy Innis, 8215 of 15
Actress and Singer Della Reese has passed away.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Roma Downey, friend and co-star of the show Touched By An Angel released a statement on behalf of the family to People Magazine: “On behalf of her husband, Franklin Lett, and all her friends and family, I share with you the news that our beloved Della Reese has passed away peacefully at her California home last evening surrounded by love. She was an incredible wife, mother, grandmother, friend, and pastor, as well as an award-winning actress and singer. Through her life and work she touched and inspired the lives of millions of people.”
Born Delloreese Patricia Early on July 6, 1931 in Detroit, Reese began singing at her local church at 6 years old. By 13 she was performing and touring with Gospel legend Mahalia Jackson’s gospel group. By the 1950’s Reese began recording Jazz albums and became a star.
In the 60’s started acting and would appear TV and movies. In 1970 Reese made history as she became the first black woman to co-host The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
Reese became an ordained minister in the 1980s through the Christian New Thought branch known as Unity, leading her to found her own church, Understanding Principles for Better Living (also known as “UP Church”).
In 1994 Della Reese starred in one of her most famous roles, Tess on the CBS series Touched By an Angel beginning in 1994. The show was a hit and ran until 2003.
She leaves behind children Deloreese, James, Franklin, and Dominique, as well as husband Franklin Lett.
Reese was 86 years old. See video in her memory below…
- B’More Proud History Maker: Adrienne Simms
- Win Tickets To See Fred Hammond, Marvin Sapp & More By Taking Our Music Survey
- Folks Need A Michael B. Jordan & Lupita Nyong’o Rom-Com ASAP
- Lit Hacks: 9 Things You Can Buy From Rite Aid For Under $10 That’ll Make Adulting Easier