Black women spend a lot of time and money to make sure their hair is always kept up. Beauty supply stores can be found all over predominately Black neighborhoods, but many of them are owned by Korean immigrants. Essence reports that they have dominated the industry because of their close ties to hair suppliers as well as wholesalers in South Korea.
Over the past several years Black-owned beauty supply stores continue to rise in different neighborhoods. These women are following in the footsteps of Madame CJ Walker, which is an iconic self-made millionaire and entrepreneur. Recently, two Black women became the youngest in Moreno Valley, California to become business owners.
View this post on Instagram
Judian and Kadeian Brown, the owners of Black Girls Divine Beauty Supply and Salon in Brooklyn, NY, were recently featured in the New York Times. Out of the 10,000 beauty stores that sell hair products catered to black women, only a few hundred of those stores are actually black owned. Although the multibillion-dollar hair industry is dominated by Korean entrepreneurs, these go-getters are breaking into the black hair business despite the enormous challenges they face. We admire the Brown sisters for their ambition!
Kayla Davis. 19, and Keonna Davis, 21, opened KD Haircare Supply and is trying to grow in their communities. Sisters, Judian Brown, 35, and Kadeian Brown, 33 are also thriving at their Black-owned beauty supply store in Brooklyn, NY. Four years ago they opened Black Girls Divine Beauty Supply and Salon. As more of these stores keep opening Black communities will be able to support businesses owned by us.
- Police: Jussie Smollett Is Now a Suspect, Charges Pending
- Man Awakens To Find Wife Cheating On Him, Then Reportedly Stabs Her Lover
- Voices: Here’s To Life With Ms. Anita Wilson
- Ex-NFL Seattle Seahawks Player Shot To Death Over Parking Spot
- Daniel Kaluuya, Lakeith Stanfield In Talks To Star In Film Based On Black Panther Party’s Fred Hampton
- Jazzy Report: People Want To Sell Montana To Canada?
- DL’s Top 10 Signs You’re A Side Piece
- Lena Headey Talks Game Of Thrones Ending, Fighting With Family & More
- Burberry Apologizes for Hoodie with Noose on Their Runway
- Your Jail Cell’s Calling: Alleged Third Tape Of R. Kelly Have Sex With Underage Girl Surfaces
Best Hairstyles On The Red Carpet From The 49th Annual NAACP Image Awards [PHOTOS]
1. THAT’S JUST THE WAVESource: 1 of 18
2. THAT’S JUST THE WAVESource: 2 of 18
3. SLEEK AND CHICSource: 3 of 18
4. SLEEK AND CHICSource: 4 of 18
5. SLEEK AND CHICSource: 5 of 18
6. SLEEK AND CHICSource: 6 of 18
7. BRAIDED BEAUTYSource: 7 of 18
8. BRAIDED BEAUTYSource: 8 of 18
9. BRAIDED BEAUTYSource: 9 of 18
10. BRAIDED BEAUTYSource: 10 of 18
11. CROPPED CUTSSource: 11 of 18
12. CROPPED CUTSSource: 12 of 18
13. AFRO AWESOMENESSSource: 13 of 18
14. AFRO AWESOMENESSSource: 14 of 18
15. NATURAL UPDOSSource: 15 of 18
16. NATURAL UPDOSSource: 16 of 18
17. NATURAL UPDOSSource: 17 of 18
18. NATURAL UPDOSSource: 18 of 18
Why Black-Owned Beauty Supply Stores Are On The Rise was originally published on rickeysmileymorningshow.com