Two female suicide bombers between the ages of 17 and 20 reportedly blew themselves up this week in a camp in northeastern Nigeria designed to protect people trying to escape Boko Haram terrorists, killing at least 58 people, according to CNN.
The attacks occurred Tuesday in the town of Dikwa, which is near the border shared with Cameroon. Other lives were spared when a third bomber changed her mind after learning that her family was housed at the camp, notes the report.
Officials said 78 people were injured. The victims were staying in a camp for people who had been displaced by Boko Haram violence in Nigeria’s Borno state.
“There were three female bombers who entered the camp around 6:30 a.m. disguised as displaced persons,” said Satomi Alhaji Ahmed, head of the Borno State Emergency Management Agency. “Two of them set off their explosives in the camp while the third refused after realizing her parents and siblings were in the camp.”
Two other would-be bombers were also in the group but failed to set off their explosives for unknown reasons, he added. They remain at large.
An estimated 53,000 people trying to escape Boko Haram attacks from six districts are being sheltered under military protection.
SOURCE: CNN | PHOTO CREDIT | VIDEO CREDIT: Inform