Ruth Negga is the January 2017 cover model for Vogue Magazine. The Irish-Ethiopian actress is starring in Loving, a film directed by Jeff Nichols, about an interracial couple who desire to be married in 1958 Virginia. Loving is the first full-length film to be screened at the new National Museum of African American History and Culture.
Ruth delved to Vogue about growing up with interracial parents and losing her father at a young age. Ruth and her mother went to Ireland and was waiting for her father, but he died in Ethiopia in a car crash. She found out via a letter. “This was 1988. There wasn’t any grief counseling for kids.” Ruth admits to going to therapy in her early 30’s to deal with the loss of her father.
Ruth identifies as Irish-Ethiopian, adding, “I become very territorial about my identity because it’s been hijacked by so many people, with their own projections.” Deep and a struggle, many racially ambiguous women must address. Ruth explains, “I’m always very careful to say I’m Irish-Ethiopian because I feel Ethiopian and I look Ethiopian and I am Ethiopian. But there are 81 languages in Ethiopia, and I don’t know any of them.”
Born in Ethiopia, but growing up in both England and Ireland, she admits, “I didn’t have that many Black people in my life, so I had to sort of search them out.” While she didn’t grow up in America, she identified with the writings of Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, and James Baldwin regarding the Black experience.
Ruth looks fabulous on the cover of Vogue, wearing an Alexander Wang Resort 2017 cold shoulder floral crop top. This is refreshing to see that Vogue is starting the new year uplifting Black women and not sticking to the ‘typical’ celebrity covers. The cover was photographed by Mario Testino.
Loving came out in theaters November 4th, 2016.
You can read the entire interview, here.
All The Melanin Magic At The 2016 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
1. JANIECE DILONESource:Getty 1 of 16
2. MARIA BORGESSource:Getty 2 of 16
3. ALANNA ARRINGTONSource:Getty 3 of 16
4. JOAN SMALLS AND THE WEEKNDSource:Getty 4 of 16
5. JOURDANA PHILLIPSSource:Getty 5 of 16
6. JOAN SMALLSSource:Getty 6 of 16
7. HARIETH PAULSource:Getty 7 of 16
8. LADY GAGA AND LEOMIE ANDERSONSource:Getty 8 of 16
9. LAMEKA FOXSource:Getty 9 of 16
10. JASMINE TOOKESSource:Getty 10 of 16
11. JOAN SMALLSSource:Getty 11 of 16
12. CINDY BRUNASource:Getty 12 of 16
13. JOURDANA PHILLIPSSource:Getty 13 of 16
14. LEOMIE ANDERSONSource:Getty 14 of 16
15. ZURI TIBBYSource:Getty 15 of 16
16. CINDY BRUNASource:Getty 16 of 16
Ruth Negga’s Vogue Cover Is The First Black Girl Magic Moment Of 2017 was originally published on hellobeautiful.com