Florida Democratic Congresswoman Frederica Wilson has exhibited courage in her stand against President Donald Trump. But many times for Black women of power, there’s a consequence for being outspoken in the political environment that Trump created.
Wilson was on the receiving end of verbal abuse from a Los Angeles radio host who ironically is set to enter the National Radio Hall of Fame on Thursday among a group of inductees that includes Fox News host Sean Hannity, another Trump defender.
“We think this name-calling is undermining and disparaging of Black women,” Waters said. She added that these types of verbal assaults have “escalated under the leadership of this president.”
Handel also called Wilson “a cheap sleazy Democrat whore” on Oct. 20. His remark stemmed from Wilson’s revelation that the president made insensitive remarks in a condolence phone call to Gold Star widow Myeshia Johnson.
Handel tried to walk back his vicious name-calling after coming under fire, saying he misspoke and intended to call her a “media whore,” according to LA Weekly.
Meanwhile, The Color of Change launched a petition campaign calling on iHeartMedia to fire Handel. The radio personality and KFI AM 640 have long used their platform on Los Angeles radio to disparage Black people and Black culture, according to the petition.
In Honor Of President's Day, Here Are Photos That Will Make You Miss Barack Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Calls Grow To Fire Radio Host For Derogatory Comment About Frederica Wilson was originally published on newsone.com