Racism and bigotry is at an all time high these days.
Darryl DePiano, the owner of ICandy, a popular nightclub in the “Gayborhood” section of Philadelphia, found himself in hot water earlier this week after a video of him saying the N-word made its rounds on the internet. In the video, three voices can be heard, but DePiano is the only one clearly captured on camera, Philly Mag reports.
The guys have a conversation about race and drink passes, when things got candid real quick:
Guy No. 1: “And Ricky Peterson, n–, n–, n–, n–, n—— — everyone of them. (laughs) Does Ray ask you for drink passes — white, obnoxious white, but white?”
Guy No. 2: “No he’s never asked me.”
Guy No. 1: (laughs) “There you go, and he was definitely your real boyfriend. All three of them that ask you for drink passes are n——.”
Daniel Hart, who has performed at ICandy for various drag shows and musical events, shared the video on social media the moment he was informed about it through his friends. He said, “It makes me sick, I am never setting a foot in there again… I hope my friends who host shows there reconsider their venue, the gayborhood is totally not a safe space and it depresses me consistently.”
After the video went viral, DePiano released an apology statement, admitting that it was indeed his voice on the video:
ICandy is still open and running, but in response to the video, protests organized by the Black and Brown Workers Collective have gathered outside of the business.
Want news at your fingertips? Text “MAGIC” to 23845 to join our text club!
- Here’s a First Look at the ‘New Edition’ Miniseries Trailer! [VIDEO]
- Janet Jackson Spotted With Growing Baby Bump
- Bell Biv DeVoe Is Back With Their First New Video In 15 Years
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @magicbaltimore
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, "I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age."Source:Getty 1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels."Source:Getty 2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, "It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it."Source:Getty 3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.Source:Getty 4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, "This is who I am and who I have always been.”Source:Getty 5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying "I can't be homophobic. I'm bisexual."Source:Getty 6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.Source:Getty 7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.Source:Getty 8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.Source:Splash 9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she "might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”Source:Getty 10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual."Source:Getty 11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them."Source:Getty 12 of 12
Awful! Watch The Owner Of A Gay Club Say: ‘Only N****rs Ask For Drink Passes’ was originally published on globalgrind.com